As managing shareholder of The Dobrusin Law Firm, Kristen Pursley is dedicated to achieving the objectives and vision of the firm and its clients, and in bringing out the best in those around her. Her steadfast belief in the exceptional work provided by the firm and her fellow shareholders supports her in leading important development initiatives that result in increased client loyalty and satisfaction.
Listed among the top lawyers practicing today in such publications as Michigan Lawyers Weekly, SuperLawyers Rising Star, and Best Lawyers in Patent Law, Kristen is also a DBusiness Top Lawyer and Oakland County Executive 40 Under 40 honoree. Notably, Kristen is also a graduate of Leadership Oakland and an Oakland County Bar Foundation fellow.
In her private practice, Kristen advises on patent, trademark, and copyright prosecution and agreements. She is appreciated for her practical approach to problem-solving and drive to exceed client expectations on every matter, every day. Among Kristen’s clients are tier-one suppliers for the automotive industry, medical diagnostic and device manufacturers, and consumer product and packaging producers, with whom Kristen communicates at all levels of sophistication.
Kristen understands even the most complicated aspects of R&D and speaks the language of both engineers and business professionals. She is appreciated for her seemingly innate ability to render legal counsel that not only safeguards IP portfolios but also offers the potential for market expansion and product exclusivity in the future.
A leader valued for being balanced and fair and for cultivating buy-in and innovation at all levels of operation, Kristen views management decisions from the standpoint of enhancing the client experience. As a result, she focuses on developing programs and approaches to problem-solving that maximize creativity and peak performance from everyone involved.
A thought-innovator who strives to make a difference in everything she does, Kristen is a past president of the Women Lawyers Association of Michigan, a past president of the Women’s Bar Association, and the current president of the Michigan Intellectual Property American Inn of Court. She provides pro bono legal services through the Michigan Women’s Foundation volunteer network and SpringGR and is a member of the MichBio IP & Legal Affairs Committee. Kristen also sits on the board for the Encore Performing Arts Center, which oversees the Flagstar Strand Theater in Pontiac, and serves as the chair for the Women Lawyers Association of Michigan Foundation.
Areas of Practice
- Intellectual Property
- Michigan, 2006
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan
- University of Cincinnati College of Law, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Juris Doctor
- Michigan State University
- Bachelor of Science in Biology
- Co-authored with Eric Dobrusin, Ronald Krasnow, and Daniel Aleksynas “Intellectual Property Culture: Strategy and Compliance.”
- Editor and co-author of “IP Strategy, Valuation, and Damages.”
Honors and Awards
- The Best Lawyers® in America, Patent Law, 2016 to present
- Michigan SuperLawyers®, 2019 to present
- Michigan SuperLawyers® Rising Star, 2013-18
- DBusiness Top Lawyers in Intellectual Property and Patent Law, 2017 and 2020 to present
- Crain’s Detroit Business Notable Women in Law, 2017
- Oakland County Executive’s 40 Under 40 class of 2015
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly “Women in the Law,” 2013
- Graduate of Leadership Oakland
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Michigan, Member
- Women Lawyers Association of Michigan Foundation, Chair
- Women Lawyers Association of Michigan, Immediate Past President
- Women’s Bar Association, Past President
- Michigan Intellectual Property Inn of Court, Member
Pro Bono Activities
- Michigan Women’s Foundation volunteer network
- SpringGR volunteer
- Board member for the Encore Performing Arts Center, which oversees the Flagstar Strand Theater in Pontiac