Katherine Pacynski spends her days helping clients protect their innovations. She focuses her practice on mechanical, chemical, and materials science arts, with emphasis on nonwoven materials and automotive applications, such as steering columns and other components.
Katie’s clients include garage inventors, engineers at multi-national companies, and various creators in between. To preserve their interests, she drafts patent applications, strategically negotiates the scope of patent protection with the USPTO and foreign patent offices, manages client portfolios, and monitors competitors’ activities. They rely on her for straightforward, practical counsel, and know that she is always available to address their questions and concerns.
A successful career as a patent attorney wasn’t always Katie’s plan. While pursuing an undergraduate degree in Chemical Engineering at the University of Michigan, she juggled classwork and the demands placed on her as a member of the varsity cheerleading team. Along the way, she took a one-credit elective – “Law for Engineers” – a class that changed her focus and started her on the path to law school.
After completing her Bachelor of Science, cum laude, Katie attended Michigan State University College of Law. There, she held leadership roles on the Michigan State Law Review, and also began working for the Dobrusin Law Firm, first as a law clerk, then as a patent agent. After receiving her Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, she joined the firm as an associate attorney and was later named a shareholder.
It’s apparent that Katie loves her job. She enjoys getting to know her clients, learning not just what they do, but also who they are. She is proud of the Dobrusin team and the quality representation she and her colleagues provide to their clients.
The firm encourages its people to be active in the community, which has allowed Katie to become President of the Women’s Bar Association, participate in and graduate from the Leadership Oakland program, and volunteer with Art&Soul Dreams, a non-profit dedicated to connecting families to children in the Michigan foster care and adoption system.
Areas of Practice
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Michigan State University College of Law
- Juris Doctor, magna cum laude – 2013
- Managing Editor, Michigan State Law Review
- Intellectual Property Law Society
- University of Michigan
- Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering, cum laude – 2010
- University of Michigan Varsity Cheerleading
- Alpha Chi Omega sorority
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE)
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, 2020
- SuperLawyers® Rising Star (Michigan), 2019 to present
- Oakland County Executive’s Elite 40 Under 40, Class of 2018
- Michigan Top Lawyers, 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Michigan
- Intellectual Property Law Section
- Women Lawyers Association of Michigan
- Women’s Bar Association – Oakland Region
- President, 2020 to present
- President-Elect, 2019-2020
- Vice President, 2018-2019
- Recording Secretary, 2017-2018
- Michigan Intellectual Property Inn of Court
- Leadership Oakland, Class XXIX
- Art&Soul Dreams
- Board of Directors, 2017-2018