An accomplished patent, trademark, and copyright attorney, Erin Klug counsels large corporations, innovative companies, and solo entrepreneurs regarding intellectual property opportunities and strategy.
Erin guides clients in various industries through the application and registration processes and enforces those rights once granted. Her patent experience in mechanical and electrical arts is broad, including automotive, chassis systems, brake assemblies, sensors, control systems, medical devices, consumer goods, packaging, and mobile applications. Erin regularly prepares license agreements, clearance opinions, novelty opinions, and infringement opinions. When disagreements turn into disputes, she works with her clients to resolve them fairly and equitably.
Erin knows that sometimes, however, choosing not to pursue a patent or trademark is the smarter move. By assessing the financial investment, monetization and commercial viability, licensing and marketing options, and the cost to protect IP assets and portfolios, Erin offers clear, straightforward advice that enables clients to make strategic decisions.
Appreciated for conserving clients’ bottom lines, Erin is forthright regarding where clients should invest when it comes to wise legal spending. She is at her best when faced with the intellectual challenge of quickly getting up to speed on new technological and scientific innovation and proves time and again her ability to translate differing levels of tech and science understanding to a business’s various constituents. Whether Erin is working with entrepreneurs, in-house counsel, presidents and CEOs, marketing teams, or R&D departments and individual engineers, she is valued for being a smart lawyer who is agile when it comes to problem-solving and focused when it comes to realizing commercial goals.
Her practical approach and sage advice have earned Erin her clients’ trust, respect, and accolades from peers in the legal and business communities. WTR 1000, Crain’s Detroit Business, DBusiness Magazine, Michigan Lawyers Weekly, and other publications have honored Erin for her achievements. She has also been recognized for her leadership and contributions to the community by the Women Lawyers Association of Michigan and the Oakland County Executive.
Before joining Dobrusin, Erin led the intellectual property group at a 180-attorney, full-service law firm with nine offices in Michigan and Florida.
Areas of Practice
- IP Strategy & Counseling
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law
- Juris Doctor, 2009
- University of Michigan – Dearborn
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, 2006
Honors & Awards
- World Trademark Review (WTR) 1000, 2022
- DBusiness Top Lawyers in Intellectual Property and Patent Law, 2019 to 2021
- Michigan Super Lawyers® Rising Stars, 2017 to present
- Crain’s Detroit, Notable Women Lawyers, 2019
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly™
- Go To Lawyers for Intellectual Property, 2022
- Up & Coming Lawyers, 2017
- Women Lawyers Association of Michigan, Leadership Award, 2017
- Oakland County Executive Elite 40 Under 40, 2016
- Michigan Top Lawyers, 2015
- “USPTO Announces New Trademark Rule: U.S. Attorney Representation Required for Foreign-Domiciled Parties,” National Law Review, July 5, 2019
- “Brexit: Bracing for IP Changes,” National Law Review, March 13, 2019
- “Canadian’ Trademark Trolls’ on the Rise,” National Law Review, March 13, 2019
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Michigan
- Chair-Elect, Animal Law Section Council
- Michigan Intellectual Property Law Association
- Michigan Intellectual Property Inn of Court
- International Trademark Association
- Women’s Bar Association, Oakland Region
- Past President
- Women Lawyers Association of Michigan
- Society of Women Engineers
- Barn Sanctuary
- Secretary, Board of Directors
- Attorneys for Animals
- Animal Legal Defense Fund