An accomplished patent, trademark, and copyright attorney, Erin Klug counsels large corporations, innovative companies, and solo entrepreneurs regarding intellectual property opportunities and strategy.
Erin guides clients in various industries through the application and registration processes and enforces those rights once granted. Her patent experience in mechanical and electrical arts is broad, including automotive, chassis systems, brake assemblies, sensors, control systems, medical devices, consumer goods, packaging, and mobile applications. Erin regularly prepares license agreements, clearance opinions, novelty opinions, and infringement opinions. When disagreements turn into disputes, Erin works with her clients to resolve them in a fair and equitable manner.
Erin knows that sometimes, however, choosing not to pursue a patent or trademark is the smarter move. By assessing the financial investment, monetization and commercial viability, licensing and marketing options, and the cost to protect IP assets and portfolios, Erin offers clear, straightforward advice that enables clients to make strategic decisions.
Her practical approach and sage advice have earned Erin her clients’ trust and respect, and accolades from peers in the legal and business communities. Crain’s Detroit Business, DBusiness Magazine, Michigan Lawyers Weekly, and other publications have honored Erin for her achievements, and organizations including the Women Lawyers Association of Michigan and the Oakland County Executive have recognized her leadership and contributions to the community.
Before joining Dobrusin, Erin led the intellectual property group at a 180-attorney, full-service law firm with nine offices in Michigan and Florida.
Areas of Practice
- IP Strategy & Counseling
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law
- Juris Doctor, 2009
- University of Michigan – Dearborn
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, 2006
Honors & Awards
- DBusiness® Top Lawyers, Intellectual Property and Patent Law, 2019 – 2021
- Michigan Super Lawyers® Rising Star, 2017 to present
- Crain’s Detroit, Notable Women Lawyers, 2019
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly™ Up & Coming Lawyers, 2017
- Women Lawyers Association of Michigan, Leadership Award, 2017
- Oakland County Executive Elite 40 Under 40, 2016
- Michigan Top Lawyers, 2015
- “USPTO Announces New Trademark Rule: U.S. Attorney Representation Required for Foreign-Domiciled Parties,”National Law Review, July 5, 2019
- “Brexit: Bracing for IP Changes,” National Law Review, March 13, 2019
- “Canadian’ Trademark Trolls’ on the Rise,” National Law Review, March 13, 2019
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Michigan
- Michigan Intellectual Property Law Association
- Michigan Intellectual Property Inn of Court
- International Trademark Association
- Women’s Bar Association of Oakland County
- Past President
- Women Lawyers Association of Michigan
- Vice President
- Society of Women Engineers
- Attorneys for Animals
- Board of Directors
- Animal Legal Defense Fund