With more than thirty years of experience, ERIC M. DOBRUSIN concentrates his practice on patent counseling and strategic patent prosecution, with particular emphasis in the fields of materials science (including plastics, ceramics, metals, and electronic materials), biomedical, food processing and packaging, and automotive technologies.
Eric has been active through the years in alternative dispute resolution (ADR) for intellectual property disputes. He has served in United States District Court patent litigation as a Special Master and as a mediator in multiple intellectual property proceedings. Eric has been an author of all editions of “Intellectual Property Culture: Strategy and Compliance” (LexisNexis) and “Intellectual Property Litigation – Pretrial Practice” (Wolters Kluwer).
In 2013, Michigan Lawyers WeeklyTM named Eric one of its “Leaders in the Law,” and he has received numerous peer recognition honors. Eric currently serves on the National Board of Directors for the American Technion Society.
- Michigan, 1988
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Wayne State University Law School, Detroit, Michigan
- Juris Doctor, cum laude, 1988
- University of Michigan, College of Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Materials and Metallurgical Engineering, cum laude, 1985
Honors and Awards
- Michigan Super Lawyers®, 2006 to present
- DBusiness Top Lawyers in Intellectual Property and Patent Law, 2011 to present
- The Best Lawyers® in America, Patent Law, 2007 to present
- Lawyer of the Year in Patent Law, Troy (2016 and 2018) and Detroit (2014)
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly’s “Leader in the Law,” 2013
- Crain’s Detroit Business, “40 Under 40”, 1999
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Past President, Michigan Intellectual Property Chapter of the American Inns of Court
- Past Member, Council of the Intellectual Property Section of the State Bar of Michigan